I've previously talked about my affinity for wearing dresses, but I'm going to assume that you didn't read that post because let's face it, only my mother in law and two besty friends read this blog, so I'll just recap. (hey guys!) I grew up with three brothers and a father who was in construction so therefore it was a rough and tumble kind of lifestyle, which I loved. I was the kid with the grass stains and the gum in her hair that would rather catch toads in the front pond then play with Barbies, just to paint a sweet little picture. That's not to say I didn't do all that in a petticoat and clicky shoes, because that combo was my fav. Torn from the very beginning on my gender fashion expression but free to do as I pleased as long as all my bits were covered and it didn't end in me needing stitches.
The short of it is I have a masculine energy but I really like the girly parts of life. Which is why I'm loving this whole pretty dress with sneakers trend. Not talking the casual house dress with dirty Superga's to walk the dog, but the frilly expensive dress with high top Converse. Same same, but very different. This is literally me personified through women's street wear. Add a messy low bun and maybe a pink cheek if you got a second, and you nailed it. I say this is a trend because Vogue said so dudes, so its a thing, I didn't just make it up to get more wear out of my frilly dresses.
I love a dress because it's a one stop shop for an entire look, no thinking, planning or matching and people are always somehow impressed. Do they know it took me three seconds to throw over my head and walk out the door? If its a good dress, probably not. I especially love them for how they shroud a heavy lunch or the cellulite on my knees..... yup, my knees. Thanks genetics. But I also love them for their femininity, which helps to distract from my dirty nails and crude mouth.
On a related note, in true tomboy fashion, the one clothing accessory I absolutely have a love hate relationship with, is a high heel. I love the way they look on and off a foot, I love what it does for my legs and butt but I can not stay in them for more then 30 minutes and can't walk with out rolling an ankle, I kid you not. I have about 20 pairs in my closet right now collecting dust, which is a shame, but damn those torture devices to the grave. So to think when I saw sneaks and dresses was like a thing right now, my little tomboy heart just damn near exploded. Comfy, flowy thoughtless mornings getting dressed and high fashion trending.....sign me up.
Here are a few looks that I would rock any day of the week, links to buy each dress and sneak. I feel like they are all pretty interchangeable, but I would stick the high tops with a maxi, unless you have legs for days, then you don't have to worry. Also a side note, throw a leather jacket on any of these combos and you have the perfect Modhemian LA night out look. F Yes!
1. Ulla Holly Dress 2. Veja Trainers - I'm always instantly attracted to a white dress, and this Ulla Johnson with the high neck line and the feminine ruffle is a perfect match with a broken in pair of Vejas. It's a bit sweet sexy but more down to earth worn with the trainers.
3. Olivia Von Halle Slipdress 4. NMD_R1 - Slip dresses are definitely trending and I love them for their simplicity and femininity. I prefer to stick with a darker color because silk shows every lump and bump. I think the chunkier modern sneaker gives it the edge it needs to drop the nightgown feel. Throw on a leather jacket and this look is great year long.......in LA.
5. Joni Silk Polka Dot Dress 6. Platform Chuck Taylor - I love a shirt dress and this is a nice take on that, with a polka dot! I would wear this everyday if it wasn't frowned upon. Easy, classic, a little sexy but not too precious and perfect for day to night. Who doesn't love a Chuck Taylor, and the platform gives it a modern take as well as a little extra height if you need it, without the agony and impracticality of a heel or wedge.
7. In the Moment Dress 8. Shell Top Adidas - Sometimes I feel a bit saucy and I like to wear a bold print and color. This Free People dress is just that, at a great length with good coverage and its all about the Poppy. Love. Shelled toe black and white Adidas for the GD win!
9. Ulla Johnson Malena Dress 10.Old Skool Vans -Again with my Ulla obsession, this dress is perfectly tailored, feminine bohemian and just a perfect everyday look. Paired with a neutral low top retro Van in a stripe! So damn cute.
11. Yumi Kim Maxi 12. Golas - This Yumi Kim dress is almost too soft and etherial on its own, so the Gola high top really works to bring down the sweetness to a level that makes me more comfortable cursing in. This one maybe my fav.
Ciao for now!