Spring is in full bloom and I finally have my somewhat normal body back after Pop and it's time to bust out real lady clothing. You know, the kind that has a silhouette, some structure, a waist, that's not a tent and maybe even a high neck since Pop is less reliant on her mid day feedings and more into bananas and pears right now. Big exciting stuff going on over here, I know. But seriously, I'm beyond stoked to put away the moo moos and loose neck white tees and really embrace my Spring style, baby vomit stains and all.
First off, I feel I have to preface this whole round up with stating I have nothing against color and pattern. I love and appreciate it, on other people. I'm a huge believer in the power of color to transform mood and make major statements and define personalities. It's an attention grabber, a conversation starter and a bold one at that. I've just realized I'm not that bold. Kind of a stand back and watch kinda girl. Don't get me wrong, I went through a funky Punky Brewster self discovery phase. Thank god we didn't have social media back then! Today, older and wiser, I'm more self aware, self assured and have established a pretty strong sense of who I am, what I like, what works for my body and how I want to portray myself to the world. Basically, I think I've matured goddamnit. I have found blissful comfort in a crisp linen button up, some really soft Levi's Wedgie jeans and a great pair of saddle leather slides.
This is not to say that I don't love a pop of color every now and again. I'll let a little of that Punky Brewster come out and play from time to time. She's just more refined these days. Anyways, here are a few Spring 2018 style trends that I'm feeling hard this season.
1. Posse Joni Dress- I love all things white, linen and now cinched at the waist. This brand is out of Australia and screams clean, crisp and sophisticated in a relaxed California bohemian kind of way. Love that it hits below the knees, which as a mom, is my new length begrudgingly. However that slit makes it so I'm not a total prude. This is how you do feminine casual and totally approachable.
2. Free People Dreamland Straw Clutch- I have been scoping the woven rattan 70's inspired bag for quite some time now, but have struggled to find one that is practical. Meaning, it can fit my phone, wallet and a few diapers, with a cross body strap for multitasking and the option to be used as a clutch for nights out and by god this one handles all that, for under $50. Get it while its hot cause this bag's not gonna last.
3. Injiri Embroidered Dress- I know, I know I said no oversized flouncy moo moos but seriously this dress is what I'm all about sister! This is modern bohemian in a nutshell, and and it just begs for summer time lounging with friends over sunset rooftop cocktails, or more likely, trips to Ralph's for dog food.
4. Jenni Kayne Salon Slide Sandal- Still stuck on this woven kick, but who isn't with Jenni Kayne's new Salon Slide. Neutral, feminine comfortable and versatile while leaving a little breathing room for the tootsies. Perfect spring summer footwear by may main girl JK.
5. Heidi Merrick Assisi Dress- I have been loving Heidi's stuff for a while and love to support a local artisan, business woman and cali girl. Along the same lines as the Joni but a bit more formal is the Assisi! This is per-fec-tion. The length, the fabric, the cinched waist and that casual pushed up sleeve. You can't go wrong.
6. Free People Orion Utility Trouser- High waisted pants are definitely my new best friend and after a year of no gym and therefore no more butt, I can pull off a wide leg, tall butt trouser no sweat. These are right on trend, light weight linen and come in three neutral colors. I like the extra pleated support on the belly and the wider leg gives them a casual comfortable but presentable everyday look.
7. A Piece Apart Classic Merida Pant- Similar to the above but just a bite more refined, the Merida pant hits all the important style points; on trend, great structure, high waisted, perfect crop and come in a variety of neutral colors in soft durable cotton. They're sold out on A Piece Apart but you can find them at The Garmentory or Revolve.
8. Laura Lombardi Staff Necklace- I have always admired Laura's hoop earrings, I'm just not an earring kinda girl. So when I discovered the Staff statement necklace I was all about it. Its modern and inistructable (great for motherhood) but still really fun and feminine. And it looks like a P for Poppy and Patrick, without being all monogrammy. Right on!
9. Janessa Leon Dillion- I love a hat! I love how cool other people look in them and how effortlessly they pull together an ensemble, to make it, well, an ensemble. I have a hard time making them work on my big ol' German head but if there was ever a hat that was universally appealing, especially in the warmer months, it's Janessa's Dillon. The hat you wear where you don't feel like people are looking at you like, "she's wearing a hat" and you're not constantly thinking to yourself, "I'm wearing a damn hat". More like, "where'd she get that hat?" and "man, thank god I have this hat rn." #hatgoals #internalconflictwithhats
10. Christy Dawn Phoebe Jumper- I love a good onsie and this rust linen gal from Christy Dawn is super cute. I like the white button detail and the strong structured shoulder. Its a total bitch to use the bathroom in but I'm willing to take one for the team if it means I can rock this cutie vintage inspired number from another local SoCal mommy artisan like Christy.
11. Rachael Harrah Long Sleeve Linen Button Up- You know how I said in the beginning my uniform is a pair of Levis and a button up white linen shirt. This is that dream shirt. Oyster linen, boyfriend cut and super soft. Great with jeans, shorts, shirt tied at the waste over a bathing suite top and a sarong. If it wasn't for the fact that I'd be wearing it every day, I'd sleep in it every night.
12. Ulla Johnson Wilda Dress in Rose- This women can do NO wrong! This is high end bohemian at its finest and I want everything in her latest collection. No actually, make that everything she's ever put out. When I want to feel pretty I do blush or a mellow floral and this dress with those ruffles and that organza is the epitome of pretty girl boho chic.
13. Loeffler Randall Tassel Pouch- Cutie pie purse alert! This clutch is a nice size to hold all the crap you feel compelled to have on your person at all times, and perfectly organic and light for spring. Also, who doesn't love a pom pom?
14. St. Agni Bunto Woven Loafer- Lord I'm a sucker for woven leather. Plus it's a mule. Jackpot! The perfect versatile, no fuss, not a flip flop, bohemian flat footwear. Soft and subtle, neutral in color so it blends with your sunkissed skin tone so it works to elongate your legs in shorts, cropped pants and dresses. Need a replacement for my heavier black leather slides and I think these are it!